31 July 2020

Why You Don't Get Replies from Ancestry Users

If you're waiting... and waiting... and waiting for a reply to your message to an Ancestry user, this may explain why.

When Ancestry introduced the new messaging system, I was annoyed that I no longer received email notifications about incoming messages. I contacted Ancestry, and they explained how to overcome that problem:
As part of the new message system, we are attempting to cut down on the emails we send to our members. The sheer number we are sending in some cases is causing email domains to pre-filter our important emails out along with promotional [spam!] and this is causing considerable hardship.

We have changed the process, so that we only send out one email for multiple replies, and we only send an email when you have been logged out completely from our site for a while. This way, you are not getting emails while you are working, but can still view your new messages within your account as they come in.

If you just close your browser instead of logging completely out, the emails may not send at all, because your browser's active login cookie tells our site you are still signed in. To prevent this, simply click on your name or username at the top right and choose Sign Out.

Once you have been signed out for a little while, notifications will start coming through email again.

This works! I now log out each time I use the site, and I'm getting notifications again. But many people don't know about this, and our messages are just sitting in their inbox at Ancestry.

There are, of course, many reasons why someone might not reply to your message - but please share Ancestry's 'log out' explanation with your friends and family history groups.

See also the excellent advice in this post by Margaret O'Brien: In-Depth Guide - Chapter 9 - Send Ancestry Messages that get Replies.

Note that you have until 31st August 2020 to download and save your messages from Ancestry's old system.



This post first appeared on https://genie-leftovers.blogspot.com/2020/07/why-you-dont-get-replies-from-ancestry.html.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting - thanks for posting. Often, though, I don't get responses because people don't appear interested in connecting with me. Which is ok - their choice entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, Teresa. I sometimes send a brief second message after a few months, just in case they were ill or very busy when I sent the first one. For messages to DNA matches, the response rate improved when I started using the suggestions on Tips and Tricks for Contact Success.

      Delete
    2. WISH ANCESTRY WOULD STOP CHANGING THINGS, THEY MAKE IT HARDER AND HARDER ALL THE TIME. I NEVER HAD A MESSAGE SAYING THAT ABOUT MESSAGES. I HAVE USED MESSAGES AT TIMES TO CHECK WHO HAVE ASKED FOR INFORMATION AND THEN PASSED NEW STUFF ONTO THEM. NOW I WON'T BE ABLE TO DO THAT. THEY NEED TO STOP HIRING PROGRAMMING 'EXPERTS' AND GO BACK TO THE SIMPLER METHODS.

      Delete
  2. I've added this to my original post: 'See also the excellent advice in this post by Margaret O'Brien: In-Depth Guide - Chapter 9 - Send Ancestry Messages that get Replies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that information and yes I do keep logged in but also found if that person is actually not the one who is in charge of their sight too. Funny just looked in your surnames and we have a couple that are common Reinke was my great Aunt and Johnson is one of paternal lines mind you think we are all connected in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, 'Kazybear'. Otto August REINKE (1906-1978) married my 1st cousin once removed, Clara Auguste STEINKE (1910-1985). If you're connected to that couple, you're welcome to email me at the address shown in the sidebar.

      Delete

To see my reply to your comment, tick 'Notify Me'. If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar here (or an alternative address shown on www.judywebster.com.au).